Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 25 – 30 mins in the oven at 180 to 200°C
1 pot (370g) of chestnut jam
20cl crème fraiche
* Mix the egg yolks and chestnut jam before adding the crème fraiche.
*Whisk the egg whites into stiff peaks and incorporate them into the chestnut jam/crème fraiche mixture.
* Pour this preparation onto the pastry placed in a pie dish and cook in the oven.
Ardeche caillette (pork & chard meatball) with chesnuts
For 10 caillettes:
2kg fresh chard
500g pork belly/100g pig’s liver/100g pork rind/50g pig’s heart/50g pork kidney/50g pork scratching,
salt, pepper, allspice, garlic powder and thyme
A few chestnuts au naturel
* Preheat the oven to 200°C.
* During this time, put the chard in boiling water to cook.
* Remove from the heat once the water returns to boiling point and drain and press the chard.
* Chop the pressed chard, meat and offal, scratchings and chestnuts together.
* Season to taste and mix together.
* Shape the mixture into balls. Cook in the oven from 45 mins to 1 hour, checking every now and then.
When the meatballs begin to turn golden, they’re ready!
Caillettes can been eaten hot, warm or even cold. Bon Appétit!